Professor Ben Richard Hughes
Head of BEST Research Group , Engineering Head of Department & Managing Director of FRB Limited
Department: Mechanical Engineering
Faculty: Science and Engineering
University: University of Hull, England, United Kingdom
Email: [email protected]
University Profile: https://www.hull.ac.uk/staff-directory/ben-hughes
Professor Ben Richard Hughes, Wh.S.Sch, CEng, FIMechE, is a Chartered Mechanical Engineer, Fellow of the IMechE, and Managing Director of a University Spin out company Free Running Buildings Limited. He is a full-time Professor at the University of Hull. With an H-Index of 35 and over 5000 citations he leads a group of 10 PhD students and two post-doctoral research associates.
Professor Hughes has attracted in excess of £10M in external funding from EPSRC, Innovate UK, Business Energy Industrial Strategy, Qatar National Research Fund, and the British Council.
He has also graduated and mentored 20 PhD students into prominent industry and academic positions and his research has been awarded best carbon reduction project and research team of the year from the New Civil Engineer in 2018 and was awarded the IMechE visionary award for outstanding leadership.
- Whitworth Senior Scholar (Wh.S.Sch) of Whitworth Society, United Kingdom
- Chartered Engineers (CEng) of Engineering Council, United Kingdom
- Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (FIMechE), United Kingdom
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA), United Kingdom
- Chief Editor, International Journal of Ventilation, Taylor & Francis Online
Area of Research / Research Interest
- Passive and Renewable Energy
- Passive Ventilation System
- Smart Building and Cities